Friday, October 24, 2008

Necessities of Life


The Professor is, frankly, middle-aged. However, he's still spry and very active, and has a deep and abiding interest in nutrition. This interest drives him always to try new tastes and textures, some of which he enjoys much more than others. Plastics are a particular favourite, and he will spend all day mauling shopping bags or cellophane tape.

In general he's a quiet roommate (in general), preferring to find a high perch whence he can observe the world. The best such perch is in a window, and padded (unfortunately since the photo was taken, that particular perch has been donated to a homeless shelter near you). He has, scattered around the place, several cardboard boxes (some lined with fun crunchy tissue paper, some with soft warm flannel), and a soft bed made just for him. Despite these customised resting-places, at night he prefers to climb into bed with me, where he curls up in the most inconvenient place possible. If I move even one tiny bit, he jams his claws--oh, so quietly--into whatever part of me is closest. Fun!

But I suppose I set myself up for it when I brought the Prof into my life, thirteen years ago.

No comments: